Alabama Council on Human Relations, Inc.

                -Committed to equal opportunity, and providing services and advocacy to Alabama children and families in need since 1954

Child Care Feeding

Back Home Up Next

Information and News
Child Services
Contacting Us

Adult Education Child Care Feeding Energy & Weatherization Fatherhood Housing Hunger Coalition

What is the Child and Adult Care Food Program, or CACFP ?

The Alabama Council on Human Relations, Inc. sponsors the Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) in Lee, Macon, Russell and Bullock counties of Alabama. The program is funded by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Food and Nutrition Services and is part of the National School Lunch Act.  CACFP prohibits discrimination based on race, creed, color, national origin, sex, or disability.

The primary goal of CACFP is to improve the diets of children 12 years of age and under. Children from families of migrant workers are eligible up to age 15.  Certain disabled persons are eligible to participate in the program regardless of age, if they are enrolled in a state approved institution or facility for a portion of the day and the majority of the children served are 18 years or younger.

Nutrition is an important part of good health. Proper nutrition is an important part of a good child care program. Children are encouraged to learn and enjoy a wide variety of foods while they build strong bodies and minds.

Who can participate?

Any public or private facility licensed or approved to provide non-residential day care services is eligible to participate and claim reimbursement for meals. All of the meals that are served must meet minimum standards established by USDA.

Can I feed my own children?

As a child care provider, you may claim your own children only when:  (1) they are enrolled in your childcare program and participating in the child care program during the time of meal services; (2) enrolled non-resident children are present and participating in the child care program; and (3) your family meets the family-size income standard for free or reduced-priced meals and eligibility application has been completed and submitted to the sponsoring organization for approval.

How can my day care home participate?

If you have a child care home in Lee, Macon, Russell, or Bullock County, and if you have a license through the Alabama Department of Human Resources to operate a child care home or center, call 334-821-8336 and ask for the CACFP staff.

Return to Top of Page

Send questions or comments about this web site to Last modified: 10/21/16